Friday, April 25, 2008

3/2/08 Washington for Elijah Z

The 1st of my 2008 galevanting was to Jason and Lisa's for Eli's blessing on March 2nd. Doyle flew me to Las Vegas on Thur pm and then on Allegiant Air to Pasco. Jason apologized for not doing very much but let me tell you what we did do. Grandpa was able to witness morning prayers and breakfast 4 times. Then there was scripture reading every night - one full page. Now this is interesting b/c I have been to Twin Falls and Ames and it was no different scripture and prayers every night. Now that is gratifying to know and to watch the kids grow in scripture reading. Sometimes games were played but always to bed on time. I am impressed b/c I know how hard it was for us when you kids were growing up. In looking back several years I remember when Ethan could only sound out the easy words now its Nathanael turn to repeat back the words. On Monday night it was Nathanael's turn for FHE. As far as I could see the only help he got was he asked me about a story in The Friend, which I gave him minor suggestions. He did a marvelous job for a 5 yr old-it was about a 10-15 min. lesson. Now why do I tell you this? Obviously that Grandpa is impressed goes without saying. Now when Lisa and Jason relate their stories & happenings I can identify whith the personalities because I saw the whole family morning noon and night for several days. But no I didn't see the salmon jumping the fish ladders! However, I did witness the spirit of their home.
Elijah's blessing was choice by specifically mentioning why he was named Elijah Zollinger Ellsworth. First, for one of the most valiant and important Old Testament prophets and second for his Grandmother whom his mother stated she was sure his Grandmother had been tending him before he was born. Upon hearing that my heart confirmed that impression. You just have to wonder as to the extent of that tending knowing about all the trouble Lisa had in getting with child! I was certainly touched by the whole occasion and especially b/c I really know that on these kinds of occasions someone special to us all was close and looking in on us.
Lisa has told you in her blog what we did and what we ate and who was there. Getting to know my own kids and their spouses better is very important but the delectable treat are the grandkids. To really get to know & understand kids you have see them morning noon and night, happy & sad, excited and disappointed,
being both rewarded and disciplined. By summer I will have been with everyone in their own home doing their own things and will have had these same blessings of seeing your mother and my posterity.
Love, Dad / Grandppa

No comments: